As a matchmaker, I’m constantly receiving post-date feedback both from my clients as well as their matches. One of the most common complaints I hear is that a date felt transactional, like an interview or even an interrogation. It can be hard to enjoy yourself and really get to know a person when you’re too busy engaging in a back and forth rapid-fire round of 21 questions. Sure, you may leave knowing where your date went to college, their income, maybe even their shoe size, but do you know what their favorite playlist is, their idea of a perfect Friday night, or if they can make you laugh?
One easy way to avoid the first or second date tension is to plan an activity date instead. Not only will it be more memorable, but you can learn way more about your date and get to see how you two interact in an organic setting. Plus, you’ll get a glimpse of what your potential future as a couple could look like!
Here are 15 unique NYC date ideas for you who dare and go on
an adventure with someone new
- Attend an improv show at UCB or watch stand up at the exclusive Comedy Cellar, a famous comedian may even make a surprise appearance!
- Channel your inner child and hit up the Ace Bar for some darts, pool, pinball, and even skeeball
- Challenge your partner to some ping pong and book a table at Spin
- Reserve a lane at the trendy bowling spot Lucky Strike
- Check out the Union Square Farmers Market , and maybe whip up a meal together with your fresh finds!
- Channel your inner Picasso over a glass of wine at Paint Along , one of NYC’s best Paint and Sip studios
- Up your culinary game and sign up for a BYOB cooking class at Taste Buds Kitchen
- Get your adrenaline pumping and learn to fly at the Trapeze School New York
- Venture to Brooklyn for a round of shuffleboard at the Royal Palms Club
- Educate your taste buds through an interactive Wine 101 class at New York Vinters
- Enjoy craft beers and a plethora of classic video games at Barcade
- Take it to the next level and visit Steep Rock Bouldering Rock Climbing gym
- Share tapas while enjoying a live flamenco show at the intimate Nai Tapas
- Take a tour and indulge in beers on tap at the Brooklyn Brewery
- Escape the Sunday Scaries and snag a spot at Not your Standard Bingo at The Standard Grill for a hilarious, rowdy twist on the classic game
These fifteen options are a spectacular reason to go on a date. Time to go make some memories!